Thursday, May 26, 2011

RANDOM THOUGHTS

With so much going on in sports and life in general, I find it impossible to focus on one particular thing. So in the foot steps of Mr. Jack Handy, here are a collection of random thoughts ...

  • The Lakers have hired Mike Brown and my first reaction was vomit inducing. While I have come down off the ledge since the news broke, I still find a lot to worry about. Brown is a defensive minded guy, which isn't bad and something the Lakers needed this season. Problem is the Lakers are old. Getting them to commit to rigorous defense may be very challenging. Second, and more importantly, to this point in his career Brown is a regular season coach and that wont cut it. From Jerry Buss all the way down to Joe Smith the Lakers take the court in October to win championships, not flame out in the playoffs. Some of his past coaching choices in the post season are questionable at best. How he builds and manages a relationship with Kobe may be the biggest key, and you also must account that all of his regular season success was in the East where a team eight games below .500 may be a seventh seed in the playoffs. Very skeptical is the only way I could describe entering next years season.
  • As the Mavs head in to their second finals since 2006, I think everyone will remember this post season as the year Dirk Nowitzki cemented his Hall of Fame status, not just as the best foreign player ever, but as the guy who truly lives up to all the expectations of his game. I don't buy that he's a top ten player all time, but perhaps he an all timer as far as someone who maximized their potential. You know what to expect from Dirk and he rarely disappoints. In a league where it's evident that you need help to succeed, he his doing it all by himself and will probably have the support of everyone in America that doesn't hail from South Beach.
  • Wilson Valdez, Philadelphia Phillies infielder, got a win last night as a reliever in the 19th inning. The last guy to do that? Babe Ruth. Go figure.
  • The NCAA has chosen to uphold all of the sanctions brought down on the USC football program. After spending the last two weeks at Ohio State, it amazes me that they continue to dance around the wrath of the NCAA, especially when more and more info continues to leak out. I unsuccessfully tried to find the tattoo shop in question, but from what I heard from local Buckeye fans the place is essentially an illegal shrine to Buckeye football.
  • Finally, what a week it's been for me.So far I have survived rapture, hydroplaning in a box truck on the free way, and a tornado. I wonder if they make superman pajamas in my size.

No comments:

Post a Comment